- This event has passed.
FREE 6 Week Creative Arts and Writing Program
February 14 @ 12:00 am - March 21 @ 12:00 am
Storytelling is hardwired into all of us. It’s how we see the world, and how we explain it. True democratic community storytelling, written, oral and/or through artistic visual representation, gives a voice to everyone, no matter where they came from or how they got there. Stories foster understanding and acceptance by providing an uncensored opportunity for experiences from diverse and underserved populations. They provide the platform for self-representation, for sharing experiences with like-minded people, and an opportunity that then influences debate and discourse. This creative arts and writing program will explore uncensored stories from our elder African American community about “Soul Food”; it’s historical significance, it’s impact on our personal lives, memories, relationships, generational influence, health and honoring it’s substantial contribution to American culture and cuisine.
· For African Americans 50 years and above
· No Writing or artistic talent required.
· Learn new techniques in creative writing and numerous art mediums to create a unique piece of artwork and accompanying story. Guided by professional artists.
· Guided 6-week creative arts and writing program
· Designed to capture personal stories and a unique piece of artwork illustrating recipes and memories of cooking passed down through the generations
· Honoring your experiences and wisdom to share to the broader community
· No Cost and all materials are provided